How to self-exclude
What is self-exclusion?
If you need to take a prolonged break from gambling, we offer a self-exclusion feature which allows you to exclude yourself from our services and completely blocks access to your Smarkets account.
Self-exclusion means that your account will remain closed for a minimum period of six months and access will not be reinstated under any circumstances during the exclusion period.
Whilst the minimum self-exclusion period is six months, we also offer exclusions for one year, five years or forever. Alternatively, our customer support team can apply a self-exclusion period for you upon request.
Please note that if you choose to permanently self-exclude (forever) your account, we will not re-open or reinstate access under any circumstances.
Once your chosen time period has elapsed, you can request that your account is re-opened by contacting our support team via email - email@example.com.
Note: If you are considering self-exclusion, you may also want to consider self-excluding from all other gambling operators as well. If this is the case, you may benefit from registering with GAMSTOP. It is a free service that assists with self-exclusion from all online gambling companies licensed in Great Britain. To find out more and to sign up with GAMSTOP, please visit www.gamstop.co.uk.
Are self-exclusions the same as a timeouts?
Whilst timeouts and self-exclusions both restrict access to your Smarkets account, they do have two distinct differences.
- Timeouts are intended to provide short-term access restrictions to your Smarkets account with the maximum period being 42 days. Self-exclusions are for prolonged periods ranging from six months to five years, or even a permanent account exclusion.
- Account reinstatement after a timeout is automatic and as soon as the timeout ends you will be able to log in and access your account. However, in order to regain access to your Smarkets account after a self-exclusion of six months or more, you will need to contact our support team via email - firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I self exclude?
You can apply a self-exclusion to your account by visiting ‘settings’ and then ‘limits’ when logged into your account, and then selecting ‘SET EXCLUSION. To avoid applying a self-exclusion in error, you will be requested to select the required period (6 months, 1 year, 5 years or forever) and toggle the confirmation switch to confirm that you understand your account will be restricted.
How do I know if I should self-exclude?
If you are unsure whether you need to take a break from gambling, you may benefit from considering the following questions:
- Do you ever get preoccupied by gambling, such as neglecting work, responsibilities or family and friends?
- Has gambling ever left you in a negative financial position? For example, have you ever needed to sell possessions, borrow money from friends and families or take out loans to fund your gambling transactions?
- Do you ever gamble for longer than intended?
- Have you previously attempted to stop gambling and were unsuccessful?
- Have you ever considered self harm as a result of your gambling?
If you answered ‘YES’ to any of these questions, we strongly encourage you to consider taking a break from gambling. Additionally, there are several organisations that can offer guidance and support: